On life’s constant little limitations
Calvin: You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don’t help.
Calvin: Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!
On why we are scared of the dark
Calvin: I think night time is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction.
On the unspoken truth behind the education system
Calvin: As you can see, I have memorized this utterly useless piece of information long enough to pass a test question. I now intend to forget it forever. You’ve taught me nothing except how to cynically manipulate the system. Congratulations.
On the cruel reality of commercial art
Hobbes: Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.
On the tragedy of hipsters
Calvin: The world bores you when you’re cool.
On the tears of a clown
Calvin: Isn’t it strange that evolution would give us a sense of humour? When you think about it, it’s weird that we have a physiological response to absurdity. We laugh at nonsense. We like it. We think it’s funny. Don’t you think it’s odd that we appreciate absurdity? Why would we develop that way? How does it benefit us?
Hobbes: I suppose if we couldn’t laugh at things that don’t make sense, we couldn’t react to a lot of life.
Calvin: (after a long pause) I can’t tell if that’s funny or really scary.
On the falling of sparrows (or providence’s lack of a timetable)
Calvin: Life is full of surprises, but never when you need one.
On why winter is the cruellest of seasons
Calvin: Getting an inch of snow is like winning 10 cents in the lottery.
On the gaping hole in contemporary art’s soul
Calvin: People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
On playing Frankenstein with words
Calvin: Verbing weirds language.
On realising God is more Woody Allen than Michael Bay
Calvin: They say the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines.
Hobbes: Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.
Calvin: We need more special effects and dance numbers.
On why ET is real
Calvin: Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
On looking yourself in the mirror
Hobbes: So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they’re already met?
On the future
Calvin: Trick or treat!
Adult: Where’s your costume? What are you supposed to be?
Calvin: I’m yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Madison Avenue and Hollywood, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you’re old and weak. Am I scary, or what?
On the truth
Calvin: It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy…Let’s go exploring!
- scrambles4life likes this
- sweetscatterbrain reblogged this from amandaonwriting
- wordslikemoths likes this
- mightyfrights likes this
- atouchofshadow reblogged this from yourmegzilla
- perkygiant reblogged this from amandaonwriting
- scribophobia likes this
- mosspath reblogged this from gotchibi
- unedroledebacterie likes this
- mamilyfart reblogged this from heartfilly
- heartfilly reblogged this from amandaonwriting
- the-square-root-of-three likes this
- gallowshumorous reblogged this from swallowthedolphin
- swallowthedolphin reblogged this from amandaonwriting
- a-bag-of-cottonballs reblogged this from hayleyfails
- asdfayeiouvwxyzup reblogged this from amandaonwriting
- schwarzbrot likes this
- pencilpaperandpen reblogged this from mylifeisquestionable
- mylifeisquestionable reblogged this from thisisfuckingscotland
- calculusandshakespeare likes this
- alotoflittlecandles reblogged this from thisisfuckingscotland
- thisisfuckingscotland reblogged this from noroominyourbagforregret
- inthebackyarddancing likes this
- noroominyourbagforregret reblogged this from realizeviennawaitsforyou
- khyeili likes this
- superspecialreblogs reblogged this from buttastic
- sheepditty likes this
- musing-ego likes this
- fongzillagames likes this
- permanentsharpie reblogged this from look-to-the-stars-darling
- ferra-itt likes this
- crazyperfectsense likes this
- pikapikarawr likes this
- orangeflight likes this
- orangeflight reblogged this from plasmology
- abowtieandtwohearts reblogged this from punkdancerjesus
- abowtieandtwohearts likes this
- lifeateelyse reblogged this from punkdancerjesus
- lifeateelyse likes this
- punkdancerjesus reblogged this from shitarianasays
- artsie-fartsie likes this
- 2dvine likes this
- mngwa likes this
- stoictomato reblogged this from nicodreams
- westmarch likes this
- mushroomtherobot reblogged this from nintendonut1
- finalfarce reblogged this from emphasisonthehomo
- emphasisonthehomo reblogged this from prufrocking
- justslob likes this
- doktorgun reblogged this from meowgosaurus